Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Learning Curve


Business has been an interest of mine for a while, and this past fall I had the opportunity to take Social Entrepreneurship. For our final projects we were assigned to design an idea for a business. I wanted to do something that I was interested in, something that I really cared about, but nothing was coming to mind. As I struggled to come up with ideas, I found myself watching random Youtube videos, and I saw a video that said, “Recommended for you” and it was a surfing video. That was when it hit me. Why not create a business that uses recycled plastics to create surfing products. The idea of creating surfing products was further narrowed down to just surf fins. With several days of research and experimentation, I developed a prototype fin. The final product exceeded my expectations. I did not plan on going further with the idea of a plastic surfboard fin, but after hearing from several students, saying that they would use a set of the fins, I knew that there was potential for something more than just an idea. The fins are made out of the number 2 recyclable plastic, high-density polyethylene (HDPE). Working with HPDE plastic has been a learning process. With several flaws in my prototype fin, I look to better the quality of the surfboard fin. Not only am I focusing on the quality of the fin, but the process of how the fin is molded, cut, and shaped.  Rather than using just an electrical heat source, I am planning to work with Alan McIntyer and his E block class and make a solar oven to mold the plastic. Power tool will also be replaced, giving me a final product that has not required any fossil fuels to make.  Today I worked with some of the HDPE plastics I have collected, and attempted at creating a sheet of plastic that I could cut a fin out of.  I failed, but that opened up several new ways to mold the plastic. I built a wooden press that will flatten out the HDPE plastic into a rectangle. The issue with the rectangle is the excess work needed to cut and shape a fin. With several different ideas on how to mold the plastic into the shape of a fin, I must research and experiment on the different methods to find the most efficient and ecofriendly way.  Learning from my failure today has prepared me for tomorrow, as I hope to make my second HDPE surfboard fin.   

4 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with what you are doing! I have no doubt you will create a truly awesome fin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this idea has developed over this year...keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that...you are learning from your failure...and moving forward!!!...great things are happening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to see some photos. Also, did you talk to John Ferris? What did you find out?

    ReplyDelete